Entries by Steve Preston

Outplacement or Career Transition?

Supporting Organisational Change with ‘Outplacement’ You might be working for an organisation that is looking at laying off staff due to the need to cut costs or because you want to become more efficient. If so, what are your thoughts about how you might support the staff who will be leaving as a result of […]

Why everybody is in Sales, even you

Have you heard the saying that ‘everybody is in sales’? If not, you might be wondering how this can be and where this is going? Sales Perception For many people the very mention of ‘sales’ is a dirty word and sends shudders down them, conjuring up visions of pushy double glazing salesmen, estate agents (real […]

Customer Service Optional – The Computer Says No!

You may well know this brilliant turn of phrase from the infamous Little Britain comedy sketches. However, this is a real life customer service ‘nasty’, albeit in very abbreviated form to be of more general interest with some real learning points! Does your system drive your people or do your people drive your system? This […]

Meetings bloody meetings?

Meetings bloody meetings! The ‘more mature’ readers of this blog will no doubt remember the infamous John Cleese Video Arts training video by this name! How times have changed since, as were are now in the 21st century digital age but how have meetings changed? Let’s take a closer look. What typical research shows A recent […]

Going the extra mile

Isn’t it remarkable how customer service can vary so dramatically from one company or organisation to another? This applies pretty much regardless of whether in the public sector, private sector or charity sector. Also, whether retail or professional services. Some recent experiences have got me penning this blog! Having come from a primarily retail travel […]

Encouraging your staff to take holidays

Shocking statistics highlighted by the Stress Management Society have reported that a recent study suggests that over one million Brits will fail to take their remaining annual leave this year. Another recent survey found that only half of the population took all their leave last year. So what is going on, as employers don’t appear […]

SMP Solutions has re-branded!

Since May 2014, SMP Solutions HQ has been buzzing from the sound and mind power of collaborative planning, thinking, culminating in the creation of a new brand and website. Yes you heard it right, SMP Solutions has rebranded! So, why did we rebrand? Cast your mind back to when you last visited the former SMP […]

SELF EMPLOYMENT – STARTING OVER AGAIN

Self-Starting Again According to Barclays Bank 81% of entrepreneurs said they are happier now in self employment than when they were employed.  The same survey reveals that 71% were more optimistic, 63% were busier, 54% were more relaxed but that only 30% were better off than when employed.  The remaining 70% were obviously feeling the […]